Pubblicato su stage4eu il: 04/06/2020
ESO, Internships: Science Journalism 2020
ESO, European Southern Observatory
Karl-Schwarzschild-Straße 2, Garching, Germania
Comunicazione/Marketing, Giornalismo/Editoria/Scienze documentarie
L'offerta scade il 31/12/2020
In ESO's Department of Communication you will work with a team of professional science communicators for the preparation of ESO and ESA/Hubble news and photo releases, publications, web pages, video scripts, exhibition panels and other public communication products.
Through your involvement in various projects and with our support, you will have the opportunity to understand and learn:
- About the mission of ESO and the role and responsibilities of the Department of Communication for its implementation;
- How a large international scientific organisation works in practice and in particular what are the workflows, processes and procedures within the Department of Communication;
- How to write about complex scientific issues in an engaging and understandable manner;
- What is required to coordinate big events and projects;
- How written text and audiovisuals can be combined to make science attractive and approachable to the public.
We are looking for people who want to gain experience in science communication of frontline astronomy projects.
You should have some previous experience in written science communication/journalism in English and in particular communicating astronomy or other physical sciences to the public. You should also have a knowledge of astronomy that allows you to understand scientific papers. You must be fluent in English both written and oral and have strong MS Office applications skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Candidates currently studying or having recently completed a University degree in science, science communication or science journalism, are preferred.
You should be able to:
- Understand and translate scientific research into simple concepts and write about it to general audiences in an engaging and accurate manner;
- Provide clear, concise and timely written and oral communications;
- Work under time pressure and deliver to agreed deadlines and standards;
- Work both on your own initiative and as part of a team;
- Build good collaborative working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds and disciplines.